Start a College or Post Secondary Chapter
What are the Benefits of Starting a SkillsUSA RI Chapter at my College/Post Secondary School?
SkillsUSA RI helps students excel by implementing an organizational framework rooted in three areas: personal, workplace and technical skills grounded in academics.
Our college/post secondary school programming allows students to focus on career exploration, while also developing their self-esteem, leadership, and teamwork abilities. Additionally, starting a chapter at your school provides students with the opportunity to learn about local Career and Technical Education programs, and how this pathway will guide them towards a successful future.SkillsUSA RI Annual Championships college/post secondary school members are encouraged to participate in 2 SkillsUSA RI competitive events.
Exploratory Career and Technical Showcase
- After exploring various career clusters, students are given the opportunity to exhibit their journey towards mastering a particular skill. Each student will create a display board (a tri-fold science board) that illustrates the evolution of their project, and how it relates to applied learning & academics.
- Contact SkillsUSA RI leadership team for contest guidelines
Utilizing SkillsUSA Education Resources in your classroom and chapter meetings will help empower students to become world class workers, leaders, and responsible American citizens. All resources are turn-key, allowing teachers to easily bring SkillsUSA into their classroom and/or after school programming.
What do schools that integrate SkillsUSA curriculum off you? Students become a well-rounded, well-trained college-and-career-ready student, who’s prepared to not just satisfy demands, but exceed expectations.
Use this Checklist to Start a SkillsUSA RI Chapter at Your College or Post Secondary School
- Connect with the SkillsUSA RI leadership team (Link to Contact page) for informational guides.
- Meet with your school administrator to request permission to start a new program and gain support for your SkillsUSA RI chapter.
- Identify your Chapter Advisor and their position roles.
- Commit to hosting at least to chapter meetings a month.
- Select your first meeting date and build excitement and awareness throughout your school.
- Recruit and maintain a minimum of 10 student members.
- Create a login and register your chapter online at skillsusa-register.org
- Contact SkillsUSA RI to access Education Resources (links to resources page)
- Host your first chapter meeting